Monday, 22 August 2011

Interview with Dawn Metcalf

Recently we had the exciting opportunity to speak with Dawn Metcalf about her debut novel Luminous. We asked her many questions relating to her book and how she came about being an author. Check it out below!

1. How did you come up with the idea for luminous?


Honestly, it was a combination of comic-loving feminist rants colliding headlong into Jack Bauer-meets-Buffy the Vampire Slayer and memories of an old anthropology pic. Essentially, my brain is a scary place to play. Add a spark of epiphany and eventually you get Consuela, a troupe of anything-but-typical guardian angels, and the shifting world of the Flow.

2. Which authors do you look towards for inspiration?


Dial the Wayback Machine to the early Brothers Grimm, Oscar Wilde & Hans Christian Andersen for my early love of myth, folklore and dark fairy tales; more modern head-twists come from Spider Robinson, Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman & Connie Willis, and recent adoration for M.T. Anderson, Brenna Yovanoff, Laini Taylor & Holly Black; these are people who take old stories, turn them one-eighty, and run with them using lyrical prose. I love that.

3. What made you pursue writing and was it easy getting your book published?

Question One: You ask like it's a choice. It's not a choice. I write because I can't NOT write. (Writing for publication, however, *is* a choice. Learning the difference between the two has been a real eye-opener!) Which leads me to...
Question Two: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *wipes eyes* No. It is not easy to get a book published and takes a lot of hard work, research, no small amount of luck & taking yourself (and your writing) seriously enough to put in the time, sweat, red ink & tears. But seeing your name on a cover on the shelf? Priceless.
 

4. Why did you decide to write in this  genre?


Again, it's less me deciding to write this way than it choosing me. I translate my world through writing, sorting out all the bits of life that don't make sense to me and putting it into some form that does, in a sense, play fair. I've been writing novel-length manuscripts for almost 20 years and I've always written dark, quirky, black-humored, twisted, strange and mythic speculative fic. I like to ask "What If?" and see what happens (with a smirk firmly plastered on my face). That's if you're talking about fantasy. Now if you mean Young Adult as a genre, well, my protagonists have always been "young adults" so that only makes sense, yet when I was a young adult, there was no "Young Adult" section; that's a fairly new development in my lifetime and that's more due to marketing trends than anything I set out to write. I try to write the stories that I'd like to read. Nowadays that's called things like "Urban Fantasy", "Paranormal Fiction" or "Young Adult". Frankly, they can call it "Convoluted Giraffe" and if it's a story I like, I'm happy. 

5. Have you planned a sequel? Or a series maybe?


Mmmmmaybe.
I certainly have thought out the superhero arc for Consuela and company, but as to whether these stories see the light of day is entirely up to the industry (and the fans that clamor for them)! Suffice to say that LUMINOUS is an origin story, more like "Peter Parker Gets Bitten By A Radioactive Spider" than off having adventures that test the mettle or Saving The World. There's a lot going on in there, but LUMINOUS was written so it could stand alone.
 


6. Describe Luminous briefly?


Consuela Chavez discovers that she can remove her skin and create new ones out of anything to save ordinary people from dying before their time. She crosses over into a parallel world known as the Flow, finding other teens with extraordinary abilities; but now someone or something is killing them off one by one and Consuela may be the key to stopping a killer when all she really wants is to get back home alive. 


7. Finally do you have any upcoming projects in store?


Yes! I will have two books coming out in 2013 featuring the run-of-the-mill story of boy meets girl, girl meets boy, boy tries to stab out her eye and ends up unwittingly pulling her into a plot that could end the Age of Man. You know, the usual tropes and trends.
Luminous is a definite read! Check our more information about it at http://www.dawnmetcalf.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...