Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Review- Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Title: Stolen
Author: Lucy Christopher
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date:04/05/2009
Genre: YA
Rating: 5/5

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

Stolen is one of those few books you read and you are instantly taken on an emotional roller coaster. I really felt like I was in Gemma's shoes when she is taken away from everything she knows, her family, her friends and her home to the middle of nowhere with a strange but beautiful man. Stolen played on my mind for many days after reading and It is definitely one of my favourite books of all time.


Stolen really made me question the boundaries on right and wrong. I say this because picking up the book I never would have thought I would start sympathizing with the "villain" of the book. The kidnapper is called Ty and he was such a sad and tragic character. We learn about his background and how he doesn't mean anyone harm. I admit there were times when I hated him for taking Gemma against her will, but as the story progressed and we got to know Ty more I couldn’t help but fall in love with him along side Gemma.

Towards the end of the book Gemma is told that she has Stockholm Syndrome. Lucy Christopher the author also makes you, the reader, experience Stockholm syndrome so that by the end you're as conflicted as Gemma. She makes you consider Stockholm syndrome from the inside which is just mad in my opinion. This book has definitely made me feel intense emotions.

I’m finding it hard to describe this book in a way it gives it justice. It was scary and beautiful at the same time. Definitely a book I will remember for a long time.

Buy Stolen here: Stolen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...