Monday, 19 September 2011

Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Perfect Chemistry is a typical boy meets girl story. Alex is a Mexican gang member from the rough side of town and Brittany is a typical rich girl living a sheltered life. They meet when Brittany nearly runs Alex over on the first day of school. Although the story was packed with clichés something about the intensity of the characters gripped me and I just couldn’t put this book down. You really grow to love each character as you learn more about them and how they may not be what they seem to be.
One of the main themes of the story is conforming to stereotypes. Brittany feels that she needs to be “perfect” and flawless just because of her background whereas Alex needs to tough to fit in with his gang. You soon realise when you read the book that without these stereotypes the two main characters actually have a lot in common with each other. Other issues concurred in the novel is the issue of race and disability. The Mexican Latino students did not mix with the white students in school it was unheard off which was one of the very many battles Alex and Brittany had to face. Brittany’s older sister suffers with a disability which affects Brittany quite badly.
Being a hopeless romantic I loved all the romance aspects of the book. I love the typical bad boy character and I’m pretty sure many people fell in love with Alex too.
Like I mentioned before one of the negative aspects of the book is that it was very cliché. At some points of the book I could guess what would happen next and was quite predictable.
Overall I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the read immensely and will definitely be reading the second and third instalment of this series soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have to say when I started this book I didn't think I would love it, but it has some great qualities. Really good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book love the mix life of the two character. I definitly want to read the following two.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...