Sunday, 16 October 2011

Review- Hades by Alexandra Adornetto


Title: Hades
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date:30/08/2011
Genre: Angel/Paranormal romance
Rating:4/5


Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well.



Hades was one of my most eagerly anticipating books of Autumn 2011 and I was not disappointed. Following the success of Halo I had doubts that this second book could live up to the first, but it surpassed its predecessor by a land mile.

Carrying on from where Halo ended, Bethany, the angel on earth is still in a strong relationship with her boyfriend Xavier a mortal. But one night on Halloween Bethany is tricked on going on a motorcycle ride with Jake the demon and taken to Hades otherwise known as Hell.

I love how Hades is described in this book. It defeats the stereotypical hell one would imagine and instead makes it sound like one huge party. Hades is described as having many different clubs, glamorous hotels and restaurants and actually a place I would like to visit.

Jake the prince of Hell played the evil bad boy character in Halo. He definitely was not a favourite of mine in the first book. However In Hades we see a more compassionate and caring side of him. The reader actually wonders if he really does care a lot about Bethany which is insinuated. I found his character intriguing especially during the last part of the book when we start to see the real Jake emerge.

Ultimately, this series is about the battle between Heaven and Hell and good and evil. I enjoyed the religious theme in the book and loved the modern take on some old stories about angels seen in holy texts such as the Bible. However I found some parts a bit cringing. Especially their take on Lucifer in Hell. I thought his character was too cliché.

The story ends on a giant climax. I can’t wait for the final book to come out. I am curious to see how the Xavier/Bethany/Jake love triangle plays out as well as the love story of some of the secondary characters.

1 comment:

  1. I have this one sitting on my shelf because I actually won it in a giveaway - but I haven't actually read the first book. I've been meaning to, but every time I pick it up my mood isn't right. -.- I like to hear different takes on what "hell" is though! That'd be interesting to see how it's described in the book! I could go for some clubbing! ;) Ahaha!

    Great review!
    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...