Saturday, 5 November 2011

Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Rating: 5/5


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.
Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.
Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.
Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.



Review: (May contain spoilers)
I cannot describe how much I loved this book. From the first page I was hooked. 
Thomas, the main character in this book wakes up in an unknown place called the Glade. The only inhabitants of the place are young boys. He comes up from a mysterious box without any knowledge of his past or as to how he is there. The other boys that had lived there before Thomas go through the same predicament.  What I really loved about The Maze Runner is how fast paced it is. Literally from the first page you are taken on an exciting journey with many unpredictable twists and turns.

The leader of the Glade is called Alby as he was one of the first ones to arrive at the Glade almost two years ago. No one remembers about their past life or what is the purpose of their seclusion from normal society.But they know one thing that if they want to ever get out of the Glade they have to solve the dangerous Maze haunted by half animal half robot creatures called grievers that come out at night. Each day a group of boys run around the maze hoping to find a way out. What I really liked with The Maze Runner is how unpredictable it is. Sometimes with books I can guess what happens next but with the Maze runner I was constantly shocked by the turn of events. I believe Dashner did a tremendous job keeping the reader hooked. I also loved many of the characters Dashner Incorporated into the novel. Thomas the protagonist is a humble, brave male lead. Other characters I loved include Minho, the leader. Frypan the cook and Newt the loyal friend. I loved all these characters because they were all different and brought something new to the story. They all had different roles to play.

I was so engrossed in this book that at times I thought I was actually in the glade experiencing the same problems as the rest of the Gladers. Their are so many questions that I had whilst reading the book, most of which were answered at the end but not all. I still don't know why those boy's were specifically chosen to be in the maze or for what purpose. I guess I will find out in the next book, The Scorch Trials which I cannot wait to read!

I found the silly words and language that the boys use in the Glade funny and different. Some of the characters really grew on me and I feel I have grown a connection as a reader with them. The Maze Runner was an exciting, pulse pounding read and I would recommend this books to everyone. Fans of Dystopian Novels will surely love this book.


Click here to buy



1 comment:

  1. I just love The Maze Runner. James Dashner did a great job with the story plot on this one. From the first word you read it leaves you wanting more. You can never really know for sure what is going to happen next. Around every page there is a twist that makes you wonder what surprise will come next.
    Compared to the many other books I read, this is the most freakiest one. With the Grievers and Beetle Blades your in for a scare. Yet at the same time it's exciting and thrilling. It's one of those books that you can't put down and could read it over and over again. I highly recommend this book to anyone who would like these descriptions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...