Saturday, 12 November 2011

Review: Rules Of Attraction by Simone Elkeles


Title: Rules Of Attraction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Walker and Company (27/04/2010)
Rating: 4/5

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.
 
After reading the first book in this series Perfect Chemistry I had to pick up the second book. I was kinda worried that this book wouldn’t live up to the high standards Perfect Chemistry set, but I can honestly say that it exceeded them. I loved this book!


This book is set in the point of view of Carlos Fuentes, the little brother of Alex who was the male protagonist in Perfect Chemistry. Admittedly, when I found out that this book wont be a continuation of Alex and Brittany’s love story I was disappointed. But that flew out of the window when I began reading. Alex and Brittany are still quite heavily featured in this book and have their own plot line. I also found Carlos and Kiara’s love story more compelling than Alex and Brittany’s.

If you think that Rules Of Attraction is just a typical boy meets girl love story then think again. Although romance is prominently the main theme in the book, the book also covers some heavy more serious issues as well. As we saw in Perfect Chemistry, gang violence was a topic which covered most of the book and that is still the case in Rules Of Attraction. There are many parts in this book which kept me on edge, not being able to guess at all what happened next.

Kiara is the female lead in the book and what makes her different from any other female lead I have read is that she has a stutter. When Kiara meets Carlos her stutter comes back after months on working on it. I loved all the characters in this story but Kiara was my favourite. Kiara isn’t your typical girly girl like Brittany was in Perfect Chemistry. She is a bit of tom boy. Another character who I really liked was Kiara’s gay best friend Tuck. He brings a lot of humour to the book and there were many times I was laughing out loud. It was also nice to read about Alex and how he has changed since the last book. I was happy with his plot line in the book playing the responsible older brother.

My one criticism with Rules of Attraction is that it was fairly similar to Perfect Chemistry. Both stories are alike in many ways but I didn’t dwell too much on this. There are still many differences between Carlos and Alex and Kiara and Brittany.
I really couldn’t put this book down, I read it in less that two days! I recommend this book to anyone looking for a light read and I cannot wait till Chain Reaction the third book is released in the UK!

Click here to purchase Rules Of Attraction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...