Sunday, 29 January 2012

Incarnate Theater Treasure Hunt- Interview with Jodi Meadows

Welcome to the INCARNATE Theater Treasure Hunt!

This week, 48 bloggers are celebrating the release of INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows by participating in a treasure hunt with clues, activities, and lots of prizes including signed books and handknit fingerless mitts. You've reached a CLUE blog, which means somewhere on this page is a clue to finding the hidden page and grand prize entry form on Jodi's website. Follow 26 clues to get there!

For more information on the INCARNATE Theater Treasure Hunt, check out Jodi's post. http://www.jodimeadows.com/?p=568
There are awesome prizes up for grabs:
Grand prize: Signed, annotated hardcover; fingerless mitts; a Jodi-made mask; character named after them in book 3 (could end up dead); swag
Two runners up: Signed hardcover; fingerless mitts; swag
There are more prizes being added to the list!

Here is my Interview with the lovely Jodi Meadows....




1. How did you come up with the idea for Incarnate?

My original idea for INCARNATE came three years before I started writing the story. I wrote a note with the basic premise and then stuffed it in my "new ideas" folder, coming back to it only occasionally to see if it was ready to be written. The premise was a challenge, something I wasn't sure I'd ever be ready to write because it looked hard, and it was hard when I started writing it! But the best stories usually are.

However, because it's been years since I originally wrote down the idea, I now have no idea what was going on when the inspiration struck!



2. How would you describe your publishing journey?

Difficult! I went through zillions of rejections that sounded like this: "You write very well and I enjoyed this, but I'm not going to offer representation." They were always super nice and complimentary (once I actually did start writing well, that is -- I started out writing lots of bad to mediocre things, just like everyone else), but the nice rejections started to hurt more than encourage. Being so close but not quite there is painful! I wrote, revised, and submitted stories for years before the right people said yes, and in spite of the difficulty, I wouldn't change a thing about my publishing journey. It's made me stronger and helped me become a better writer.



3. Why did you decide to write for the Young adult genre?

This actually took an embarrassing amount of convincing. I started writing with publication dreams when I was twenty. I'd decided that at twenty, I was a Grown Up and should write Grown Up books. For years, I rebelled against my natural voice and stories, in spite of friends and critique partners telling me I belonged with YA. (Clearly I wasn't that much of a grown up; my rebellion phase came late.) 

But then I started reading YA and I realized that I loved it. I began devouring books at an alarming rate, reading more than I had since I was a teenager. Once I realized everyone else had been right all along (sooo embarrassing), I embraced the YAness of my stories and found myself in a much happier place. It still took years before I wrote INCARNATE and all the right people said yes, but accepting my natural style was a huge step.



4. Finally any words of advice to aspiring writers out there? 

Read. Write. Keep getting better. Your first (or second or third or tenth) manuscript may never see the fluorescent lights of a bookstore, but that's okay. Persistence and constant improvement is also important.

My clue for the password is..... First word: t
(There are no spaces in the password)


Make sure to visit all of the other blogs participating in the treasure hunt.Don't forget to pick up your copy of Incarnate out on January 31!


Links to other clue bloggers

Rachel's Book Reviews
The Reading Geek
Fire star Books

3 comments:

  1. Great post! The stops I have been so far look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your advice Jodi!

    And all your knits :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the interviews with authors. Always inspiring.

    Katja
    katie(dot)sijanec(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...